This portal is to open public enhancement requests against IBM Power Systems products, including IBM i. To view all of your ideas submitted to IBM, create and manage groups of Ideas, or create an idea explicitly set to be either visible by all (public) or visible only to you and IBM (private), use the IBM Unified Ideas Portal (https://ideas.ibm.com).
Shape the future of IBM!
We invite you to shape the future of IBM, including product roadmaps, by submitting ideas that matter to you the most. Here's how it works:
Search existing ideas
Start by searching and reviewing ideas and requests to enhance a product or service. Take a look at ideas others have posted, and add a comment, vote, or subscribe to updateson them if they matter to you. If you can't find what you are looking for,
Post your ideas
Post an idea.
Get feedback from the IBM team and other customers to refine your idea.
Follow the idea through the IBM Ideas process.
Specific links you will want to bookmark for future use
Many of us asked to improve the subfiles, but all requests failed. Probably because the part of the operating system that mange subfiles contain old code and it is hard to do any changes.
Suggestion: introduce a new type of subfiles, that will be much easier to program and maintain:
1. Column heading for the columns of the subfile that will be tied to the position of the columns. Moving the column automatically moves the column headings.
2. Ability to sort the subfile via function key and operation words, or search the subfile and position cursor where found (or show only matched criteria).
3. Interaction between the subfile and RPG program will be by standard keywords and functions, not indicators. Use %SFLCLR %SFLDSP, etc.
4. No need to do %SFLCLR when displaying the subfile the first time. In many cases the subfile is displayed only once in the program and a novice programmer does not understand why clear when there was not any SFLDSP before.
5. Ability to have more columns than what it fits on the screen and move right or left via function key or an RPG function.
6. Ability to have more than 10000 records in a subfile.
7. Ability to automatically print the subfile with its column headings, or create an OUTFILE - via function key or RPG operation or function.
Do not place IBM confidential, company confidential, or personal information into any field.